- I am happy to announce I have the privilege of hosting the Travel Photo Roulette contest for the third time. Â Having previously won rounds #3 and #43 means IÂ hosted the “festival” theme for round #4Â and the “once in a lifetime” theme for round #44. Â My most recent win was for round #91 with the image above for the “Inspire” theme hosted by Hannah and Adam of GettingStamped.com. Â If you don’t know what Travel Photo Roulette is, here’s an idea of the contest:
The contest migrates from blog to blog based on the idea that the winner of the previous contest hosts the next one. Â I get to host roundÂ ninety-two becauseÂ I won roundÂ ninety-one. Â As host, I get to choose a theme for the next round and bloggers can submit a single entry based on how they interpret the theme. Â The time frame for submissions is generally one week. Â At the end of the week, the host blogger will chose the winner for that round and said winner will then repeat the process on their own blog. Â Readers can always try and sway the host via comments during the contest, but the host is free to give as little or as much weight to people’s opinions as they wish.
New Theme: Viewpoint
I went back and forth quite a bit on what to go with for this round’s theme and decided to go with something a little more interesting photographically. Â This week’s theme is going to be “ViewpointÂ – Up and Down“. Â The idea is to share an image where you had to alter your viewpoint and think differently to get the shot. Â I feel one of the concepts that really helps photographers grow is to think outside the box and look at things from a different viewpoint, particularly when it comes to subjects that are heavily photographed. Â For this theme specifically, I’d love to see shots that were taken straight up or straight down.Â Check out a few of the examples below for what I’m talking about.
How to Submit
Entering the contest is super easy. Â Just leave a comment below with a link to the image with an up or down viewpoint you’d like to submit and a caption or description of the image to help flesh it out. Â Tell us what you were thinking about when you took the shot. Â Was this just an experiment that went right or something meticulously planned out?Â Once you’ve added your comment, I’ll add the image to the submissions. Â Don’t forget to check back in during the week to see the otherÂ submissionsÂ and join the conversation by leaving comments for others.
The contest runs for 7 days starting December 15th and ending December 23rd at 12:00 PST. Â The winner will be announced within a few days of the end of the contest and the selected blogger will then host round #93. Â Please do your best to keep your images to a nice, medium size and be aware that anything too wide will be reduced in size.
Feel free to share this post on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Trover and StumbleUpon so more people can join the contest â€“ make sure to use the hashtag #PhotoRoulette
The Rules for Travel Photo Roulette
1) One submission per Blog (so sites that have 2+ authors only get one entry).
2) No photoshopping allowed unless specifically called for!Â Cropping and correction for red-eye or camera flaws are ok, however.
3) Abstract submissions welcomed as long as it fits within the interpretation of the chosen phrase.Â Remember, the hosting blogger chooses the winner, so if they cannot understand the submission, you might not win!
4) Keep phrases general so that all bloggers can participate.Â Specific items like â€œEiffel Towerâ€ should be avoided but rather made open-ended like â€œmonuments.â€ For variety, it is ok to say focused things such as â€œmonuments at nightâ€ in which most of us have pictures of.
6) Abstract thoughts are appreciated, but keep it within the realm that all readers will understand.Â No â€œKafka-esqueâ€, but â€œOverlooking Creationâ€ is able to be interpreted by all.
7) No obscene pictures or phrases allowed.Â Suggestive phrases and photography can be accepted, but please keep it within reason.
8) After a sufficient period of time, phrases can be reused, however new photos must be submitted.Â Keep the ideas and photos fresh!
9) Pictures from your entire portfolio are fair to submit.Â You do not have to take the photo within the week of the contest period to submit it.
10) Most importantly,Â ALL PHOTOS MUST BE YOUR OWN.
The Winner Is:
After a lot of consideration, I’ve decided to go withÂ Greg’s image of the Virgin Mary statue holding the sun. Â There were many great images submitted for this week’s theme, however, I kept coming back to the way Greg had to shift his perspective to position the two different elements in the image. Â Congratulations to Greg! Â I can’t wait to see what he’ll pick for the next theme!
From Suzanne ofÂ The Travelbunny:
From Josh ofÂ Peanuts or Pretzels
FromÂ Alexandra Pucherelli ofÂ Fluent in Frolicking
From Jeremy Jones of Living the Dream RTW
FromÂ Laura and Lance of Travel Addicts
From Brent of Brent’s Favorite Photos
From Denise of Life As A Bus Stop
From MelissaÂ of Linguist on the Move
FromÂ Suzanne Fluhr of BoomeresqueÂ
From Greg Goodman of Adventures of Goodman
From Emily and Scott of Twelve Countries
From Yasha and JuergenÂ of Dare 2 Go
Past Photo Roulette Winners and Hosts
The following is the winners table list from the past four years of photo roulette.Â As mentioned above, the host of each round won the previous round and continued the game with their chosen theme.
- Nov 2010Â Living the DreamÂ Animals
- Nov 2010Â Skinny BackpackerÂ Road Signs
- Nov 2010Â Dream a Little DreamÂ Street Art
- Dec 2010Â Flashpacker HQÂ Festival
- Dec 2010Â Over YonderlustÂ Landmarks
- Dec 2010Â Donâ€™t Ever Look BackÂ Beaches
- Jan 2011Â ThePlanetDÂ Portraits
- Jan 2011Â Travel with a MateÂ Motion
- Jan 2011 Johnny Vagabond Water
- Feb 2011Â Ken KamineskyÂ Urban
- Feb 2011Â Travels of AdamÂ Friday Night
- Mar 2011Â Itchy Feet ChroniclesÂ The Journey
- Mar 2011 Brendanâ€™s Adventures Changing Seasons
- Apr 2011Â ShutterfeetÂ Storytelling
- Apr 2011Â 10 Times OneÂ Piousness
- Apr 2011Â Beached EskimoÂ Learning
- May 2011Â Travel JunkiesÂ Architecture
- Jun 2011Â Destination WorldÂ Transportation
- Jun 2011Â Living the DreamÂ Paradise
- Jun 2011Â Vagabond QuestÂ Clothes
- Jul 2011Â The Unframed WorldÂ Symmetry
- Jul 2011Â Beached EskimoÂ Home
- Jul 2011Â BackPackerBanterÂ Inspiration
- Aug 2011Â WanderingTraderÂ Darkness
- Aug 2011Â Finding the UniverseÂ Tranquillity
- Sep 2011Â Fearful AdventurerÂ Food
- Sep 2011Â Adventures of a GoodManÂ City
- Oct 2011Â Globe-Trekking.comÂ Reflection
- Oct 2011Â Scene With A HartÂ Framing
- Nov 2011Â Vagabond QuestÂ Silhouettes
- Nov 2011Â Hecktic TravelsÂ Music
- Dec 2011Â Globetrotter GirlsÂ Love
- Dec 2011Â Man on the lamÂ Humor
- Jan 2012Â My WalkaboutÂ Winter
- Jan 2012Â The Art of Slow TravelÂ Blue
- Feb 2012Â Ten times OneÂ Depth of the Field
- Not Hosted Anymore
- Mar 2012Â NomadbibaÂ Sunshine
- Mar 2012Â Travel With KatÂ Local Character
- Apr 2012Â The Travel BunnyÂ Street Scene
- Apr 2012 Adventure Crow Spirit of the Country
- May 2012Â Food Travel BlissÂ Evening
- May 2012 Matt Gibson Adventure
- May 2012Â Flashpacker HQÂ Once In A Lifetime
- Jul 2012Â Skinny BackpackerÂ Surreal
- Aug 2012Â 2awayÂ Smile
- Aug 2012Â Bridges and BalloonsÂ Excellent Splendour of the Universe
- Sep 2012Â The GypsyNesterÂ What the ?!
- Oct 2012Â Runaway JunoÂ Sweet
- Nov 2012Â GQ TrippinÂ Play
- Nov 2012Â Lifeâ€™s Little VictoriesÂ Friendship
- Dec 2012Â Breakaway BackpackerÂ Face
- Jan 2013Â Fly, Icarus, FlyÂ Serendipity
- Feb 2013Â Travel TransmissionsÂ Lost in Thought
- Feb 2013Â WanderlustersÂ The Natural World
- Mar 2013Â Travel JunkiesÂ Patterns
- Apr 2013Â Living the DreamÂ Your First Time
- May 2013Â Getting StampedÂ The Sun Goes Down
- Jun 2013Â The GypsyNesterÂ Cheesy Tourist Diversions
- Jun 2013Â BoomeresqueÂ Revolution
- Jul 2013Â Breakaway BackpackerÂ Colorful
- Aug 2013Â Around This WorldÂ Mountains
- Aug 2013Â Passports and PamplemousseÂ Hands at Work
- Sep 2013Â TurtlesTravelÂ Dance
- Sep 2013Â Keep calm and travelÂ The Sea
- Sep 2013Â Travel Photo DiscoveryÂ The Market
- Oct 2013Â Am I Nearly There Yet?Â Travel Fails
- Oct 2013Â The GypsyNesterÂ Weird Regional Foods
- Nov 2013Â Sophieâ€™s WorldÂ Trees
- Nov 2013Â SHOuTographyÂ Party
- Dec 2013Â Adventures of a GoodmanÂ Ruin
- Dec 2013Â Have Blog Will TravelÂ Light
- Jan 2014Â This World RocksÂ Crowds
- Jan 2014Â Travel Past 50Â Competition
- Feb 2014Â The Working TravellerÂ Working
- Mar 2014Â Travels with CaroleÂ Umbrellas
- Apr 2014Â Independent Travel HelpÂ Quirky
- Apr 2014Â Quit Job Travel WorldÂ Statues
- May 2014Â Nomad is BeautifulÂ People Sleeping
- May 2014Â Backpack MeÂ Mouthwatering
- Jun 2014Â 20 Years HenceÂ The Face of A Nation
- Jul 2014Â Two for the RoadÂ Into the Wild
- Jul 2014Â TurtlesTravelÂ Summer!
- Aug 2014Â Adventures Around AsiaÂ Candid
- Aug 2014Â Travel with Kevin and RuthÂ Hiking
- Sept 2014Â Till The Money Runs OutÂ Transport
- Sept 2014Â The Crowded PlanetÂ Wild World
- Sept 2014Â ZigZag On EarthÂ The 4 Elements
- Oct 2014Â Travel AddictsÂ Heritage
- Oct 2014Â Living the DreamÂ Your Grand Adventure
- Oct 2014Â Getting StampedÂ Inspire
- Nov 2014 Flashpacker HQ Viewpoint