- I am happy to announce I have the privilege of hosting the Travel Photo Roulette contest for the third time. Having previously won rounds #3 and #43 means I hosted the “festival” theme for round #4 and the “once in a lifetime” theme for round #44. My most recent win was for round #91 with the image above for the “Inspire” theme hosted by Hannah and Adam of GettingStamped.com. If you don’t know what Travel Photo Roulette is, here’s an idea of the contest:
The contest migrates from blog to blog based on the idea that the winner of the previous contest hosts the next one. I get to host round ninety-two because I won round ninety-one. As host, I get to choose a theme for the next round and bloggers can submit a single entry based on how they interpret the theme. The time frame for submissions is generally one week. At the end of the week, the host blogger will chose the winner for that round and said winner will then repeat the process on their own blog. Readers can always try and sway the host via comments during the contest, but the host is free to give as little or as much weight to people’s opinions as they wish.
New Theme: Viewpoint
I went back and forth quite a bit on what to go with for this round’s theme and decided to go with something a little more interesting photographically. This week’s theme is going to be “Viewpoint – Up and Down“. The idea is to share an image where you had to alter your viewpoint and think differently to get the shot. I feel one of the concepts that really helps photographers grow is to think outside the box and look at things from a different viewpoint, particularly when it comes to subjects that are heavily photographed. For this theme specifically, I’d love to see shots that were taken straight up or straight down. Check out a few of the examples below for what I’m talking about.
How to Submit
Entering the contest is super easy. Just leave a comment below with a link to the image with an up or down viewpoint you’d like to submit and a caption or description of the image to help flesh it out. Tell us what you were thinking about when you took the shot. Was this just an experiment that went right or something meticulously planned out? Once you’ve added your comment, I’ll add the image to the submissions. Don’t forget to check back in during the week to see the other submissions and join the conversation by leaving comments for others.
The contest runs for 7 days starting December 15th and ending December 23rd at 12:00 PST. The winner will be announced within a few days of the end of the contest and the selected blogger will then host round #93. Please do your best to keep your images to a nice, medium size and be aware that anything too wide will be reduced in size.
Feel free to share this post on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Trover and StumbleUpon so more people can join the contest – make sure to use the hashtag #PhotoRoulette
The Rules for Travel Photo Roulette
1) One submission per Blog (so sites that have 2+ authors only get one entry).
2) No photoshopping allowed unless specifically called for! Cropping and correction for red-eye or camera flaws are ok, however.
3) Abstract submissions welcomed as long as it fits within the interpretation of the chosen phrase. Remember, the hosting blogger chooses the winner, so if they cannot understand the submission, you might not win!
4) Keep phrases general so that all bloggers can participate. Specific items like “Eiffel Tower” should be avoided but rather made open-ended like “monuments.” For variety, it is ok to say focused things such as “monuments at night” in which most of us have pictures of.
6) Abstract thoughts are appreciated, but keep it within the realm that all readers will understand. No “Kafka-esque”, but “Overlooking Creation” is able to be interpreted by all.
7) No obscene pictures or phrases allowed. Suggestive phrases and photography can be accepted, but please keep it within reason.
8) After a sufficient period of time, phrases can be reused, however new photos must be submitted. Keep the ideas and photos fresh!
9) Pictures from your entire portfolio are fair to submit. You do not have to take the photo within the week of the contest period to submit it.
10) Most importantly, ALL PHOTOS MUST BE YOUR OWN.
The Winner Is:
After a lot of consideration, I’ve decided to go with Greg’s image of the Virgin Mary statue holding the sun. There were many great images submitted for this week’s theme, however, I kept coming back to the way Greg had to shift his perspective to position the two different elements in the image. Congratulations to Greg! I can’t wait to see what he’ll pick for the next theme!
From Suzanne of The Travelbunny:
From Josh of Peanuts or Pretzels
From Alexandra Pucherelli of Fluent in Frolicking
From Jeremy Jones of Living the Dream RTW
From Laura and Lance of Travel Addicts
From Brent of Brent’s Favorite Photos
From Denise of Life As A Bus Stop
From Melissa of Linguist on the Move
From Suzanne Fluhr of Boomeresque
From Greg Goodman of Adventures of Goodman
From Emily and Scott of Twelve Countries
From Yasha and Juergen of Dare 2 Go
Past Photo Roulette Winners and Hosts
The following is the winners table list from the past four years of photo roulette. As mentioned above, the host of each round won the previous round and continued the game with their chosen theme.
- Nov 2010 Living the Dream Animals
- Nov 2010 Skinny Backpacker Road Signs
- Nov 2010 Dream a Little Dream Street Art
- Dec 2010 Flashpacker HQ Festival
- Dec 2010 Over Yonderlust Landmarks
- Dec 2010 Don’t Ever Look Back Beaches
- Jan 2011 ThePlanetD Portraits
- Jan 2011 Travel with a Mate Motion
- Jan 2011 Johnny Vagabond Water
- Feb 2011 Ken Kaminesky Urban
- Feb 2011 Travels of Adam Friday Night
- Mar 2011 Itchy Feet Chronicles The Journey
- Mar 2011 Brendan’s Adventures Changing Seasons
- Apr 2011 Shutterfeet Storytelling
- Apr 2011 10 Times One Piousness
- Apr 2011 Beached Eskimo Learning
- May 2011 Travel Junkies Architecture
- Jun 2011 Destination World Transportation
- Jun 2011 Living the Dream Paradise
- Jun 2011 Vagabond Quest Clothes
- Jul 2011 The Unframed World Symmetry
- Jul 2011 Beached Eskimo Home
- Jul 2011 BackPackerBanter Inspiration
- Aug 2011 WanderingTrader Darkness
- Aug 2011 Finding the Universe Tranquillity
- Sep 2011 Fearful Adventurer Food
- Sep 2011 Adventures of a GoodMan City
- Oct 2011 Globe-Trekking.com Reflection
- Oct 2011 Scene With A Hart Framing
- Nov 2011 Vagabond Quest Silhouettes
- Nov 2011 Hecktic Travels Music
- Dec 2011 Globetrotter Girls Love
- Dec 2011 Man on the lam Humor
- Jan 2012 My Walkabout Winter
- Jan 2012 The Art of Slow Travel Blue
- Feb 2012 Ten times One Depth of the Field
- Not Hosted Anymore
- Mar 2012 Nomadbiba Sunshine
- Mar 2012 Travel With Kat Local Character
- Apr 2012 The Travel Bunny Street Scene
- Apr 2012 Adventure Crow Spirit of the Country
- May 2012 Food Travel Bliss Evening
- May 2012 Matt Gibson Adventure
- May 2012 Flashpacker HQ Once In A Lifetime
- Jul 2012 Skinny Backpacker Surreal
- Aug 2012 2away Smile
- Aug 2012 Bridges and Balloons Excellent Splendour of the Universe
- Sep 2012 The GypsyNester What the ?!
- Oct 2012 Runaway Juno Sweet
- Nov 2012 GQ Trippin Play
- Nov 2012 Life’s Little Victories Friendship
- Dec 2012 Breakaway Backpacker Face
- Jan 2013 Fly, Icarus, Fly Serendipity
- Feb 2013 Travel Transmissions Lost in Thought
- Feb 2013 Wanderlusters The Natural World
- Mar 2013 Travel Junkies Patterns
- Apr 2013 Living the Dream Your First Time
- May 2013 Getting Stamped The Sun Goes Down
- Jun 2013 The GypsyNester Cheesy Tourist Diversions
- Jun 2013 Boomeresque Revolution
- Jul 2013 Breakaway Backpacker Colorful
- Aug 2013 Around This World Mountains
- Aug 2013 Passports and Pamplemousse Hands at Work
- Sep 2013 TurtlesTravel Dance
- Sep 2013 Keep calm and travel The Sea
- Sep 2013 Travel Photo Discovery The Market
- Oct 2013 Am I Nearly There Yet? Travel Fails
- Oct 2013 The GypsyNester Weird Regional Foods
- Nov 2013 Sophie’s World Trees
- Nov 2013 SHOuTography Party
- Dec 2013 Adventures of a Goodman Ruin
- Dec 2013 Have Blog Will Travel Light
- Jan 2014 This World Rocks Crowds
- Jan 2014 Travel Past 50 Competition
- Feb 2014 The Working Traveller Working
- Mar 2014 Travels with Carole Umbrellas
- Apr 2014 Independent Travel Help Quirky
- Apr 2014 Quit Job Travel World Statues
- May 2014 Nomad is Beautiful People Sleeping
- May 2014 Backpack Me Mouthwatering
- Jun 2014 20 Years Hence The Face of A Nation
- Jul 2014 Two for the Road Into the Wild
- Jul 2014 TurtlesTravel Summer!
- Aug 2014 Adventures Around Asia Candid
- Aug 2014 Travel with Kevin and Ruth Hiking
- Sept 2014 Till The Money Runs Out Transport
- Sept 2014 The Crowded Planet Wild World
- Sept 2014 ZigZag On Earth The 4 Elements
- Oct 2014 Travel Addicts Heritage
- Oct 2014 Living the Dream Your Grand Adventure
- Oct 2014 Getting Stamped Inspire
- Nov 2014 Flashpacker HQ Viewpoint